The Blue Ridge Soaring Society has long welcomed visitors to our field. We frequently provide orientation flights to groups such as the Roanoke Aviation Magnet School, Virginia Tech’s ROTC and AIAA, and the Virginia Aviation Conference. We are also happy to be able to give “walk on” visitors orientation flights on a space available basis. Minors must have the written permission of parent or legal guardian in order to receive an orientation flight (forms available at airport).
Tows and Flight Instruction:
The club will only be able to provide tows and flight instruction to members of BRSS. Monthly guest memberships are available to allow a guest member to begin flight instruction (prior to full membership) or take occasional tows in privately owned sailplanes, subject to club approval.
Click here for google maps directions
Glider Dr, New Castle, Virginia 24127
- Follow VA-311 North from I-81 for ~17-18mi
- Turn right on Glider Dr.
- Cross concrete bridge
- Stay to left until second fork
- At second fork, turn right to reach the sailplane hangars
- If we’re already flying, please use the gravel roads to visit the end of the field where we’re taking off.
- Stay clear of red area, it’s the runway
- Usual parking spots are the blue areas
- Green areas with picnic table symbol is where everyone waits to fly, or just watch
Blue Ridge Soaring Society History:
A look at the written history of the BRSS by our members and the numerous guests, from its early days at the New River Valley Airport, to its move to NCI in 1963 and continued through the present day.